The Reading-Berks Science and Engineering Fair is an ISEF-affiliated science fair. ISEF provides guidelines for the safety of the students and the public. ISEF guidelines have been used to develop the following rules.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE PROHIBITED AND UNACCEPTABLE FOR DISPLAY. THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE FAIR. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THEM IN ANY PART OF YOUR EXHIBIT!!!
- Living organisms e.g. live plants, animals, microbes (bacteria), fungi (mushrooms) Suggestion: use photographs or drawings
- Dried plant materials
- Taxidermy specimens or parts, preserved vertebrate or invertebrate animals (includes embryos human or animal food, human or animal parts) Exceptions: teeth, hair, nails, dried animal bones, histological dry mount sections, wet mount tissue slides, empty container of product or picture
- Soil or waste samples
- All chemicals, INCLUDING WATER Suggestion: use the empty container or art supplies to simulate the product
- Soaps, paints, make-up, shampoo, other cosmetics
- Poisons, drugs, controlled substances, hazardous substances or devices (i.e. firearms, weapons, ammunition, reloading devices)
- Dry ice or other sublimating solids (solids which vaporize to a gas without passing through a liquid phase)
- Sharp items (syringes, needles, pipettes, any sharp pointed objects on a display)
- Flames or highly flammable display materials
- Empty tanks or containers that previously contained combustible liquids or gases, unless purged with carbon dioxide
- Batteries with open top cells (acceptable to use 1.5 v flashlight battery)
- Awards, medals, business cards, flags, corporate or institutional logos
- Photographs or other visual presentations depicting vertebrate animals in other-than-normal conditions (i.e.. surgical techniques, dissection, necropsies or other lab techniques)
ACCEPTABLE FOR DISPLAY ONLY (MAY NOT BE OPERATED)
- Projects with unshielded belts, pulleys, chains and moving parts with tension or pinch points
- Class III and IV lasers
- Any device requiring over 110 volts.
The RBSEF will reject any exhibit which, in its opinion, is not safe or which constitutes a hazard in a public exhibition.